If you have been blessed with thick hair, then you know that choosing a curling iron can be difficult at times. Not only do you need a tool that can handle how much hair you have, but you also need one that allows your hair to hold its style. Here you will learn what to look for when choosing a curling iron for you and be introduced to these five curling irons that work best for thicker hair:
What To Look For
There are several different factors to consider when looking for a curling iron that will work best with thicker hair.
Curling irons come in different materials, such as tourmaline, titanium, ceramic, and gold. If you have thicker hair, you might want to consider getting a gold-plated or ceramic iron. These two materials get hotter than others and distribute heat more evenly, and they also heat up much faster and stay hot throughout the styling process.
For thicker hair, it is best to pick a curling iron with a barrel between 1 1/2 to 2 inches in thickness. Irons with barrels smaller than an inch are more difficult to use on thick hair because they don’t hold very much hair at a time, and it is harder to get a long-lasting curl from them. If you have short, thick hair, then a 1 1/4″ to 1 1/2″ barrel would work best for you. If your hair is long, then choosing an iron with a 1 1/2″ to 2″ barrel is the best choice.
The clip on curling irons is typically a spring-loaded mechanism that allows the iron to grip your hair as it curls it. If you have thick hair, using a curling iron with a clip is easier than using a curling wand that doesn’t have one. It makes styling easier and allows you to curl more of your hair at a time. The clips also prevent you from potentially burning your fingers and hands.
Curling thicker hair requires a higher heat index. In our Definitive Guide To Curling Your Hair, we recommend choosing an iron that has a heat setting ranging from 350 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit if your hair is thick, coarse, or curly. When using a curling iron with a higher heat setting, it is important to always use a heat protectant on your hair to ensure that it doesn’t get damaged or too dried out from the heat. Never curl any hair type with a curling iron above 450 degrees Fahrenheit, as this can damage your hair and cause it to appear much frizzier than it actually is.
How To Use A Curling Iron
If you have thick hair, it is best to curl your hair when it is a little “dirty”. This simply means that unwashed hair, or hair that has product in it before curling, will typically hold curl much better than clean, product-free hair. It is a good idea to apply a dry shampoo to give your roots more volume and remove any oil. If your hair is typically frizzy or dry-looking, you can apply a small amount of lightweight hair serum to add shine and softness to your curls. Total Beauty has excellent suggestions for styling-preparation products that can be used to ensure a longer lasting curl for your specific hair type.
Here is a short instructional video to show you a few simple yet effective ways to curl your thick hair:
The Best Curling Irons For Thick Hair
If you’re looking for a new curling iron, look no further! These five curling irons are the best to use when you have thick hair. Each product has its own unique set of pros and cons. We know that everyone has unique hair, so each description can help you to decide which of these five irons would work best for you and your hair.
HOT TOOLS Signature Series Gold Curling Iron/Wand
This HOT TOOLS curling iron is perfect for those that want a fast and easy styling experience that delivers curls with all-day hold. This brand has been creating excellent styling tools for over twenty-five years.
- Gold-Plated 1 1/2″ Barrel: perfect for maintaining high and even heat.
- “Pulse” Technology: allows the iron to heat up quickly and to stay hot throughout styling.
- Reaches 430 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Extra-Long Cool Tip: prevents burning of fingers/hands.
- This option is a little pricey.
- Does not reach 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The cord is shorter than most curling irons.
Pro Beauty Tools Professional Gold Curling Iron
The Kipozi Curling Iron With Ceramic-Coated Barrel curling iron is widely used by professional stylists. It is a gold-plated iron that works best for achieving loose curls or beach waves.
- Fast Heat-Recovery System: activates a sensor while styling to ensure that heat stays consisent and that hair is heated evenly.
- 8 Ft. Tangle-Free Swivel Cord allows for a wider range of motion while curling.
- Ergonomic Styling Handle: reduces discomfort in hands from styling.
- A less-expensive option that still delivers high-quality curls that last.
- Only reaches 430 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Shorter barrel does not produce tight curls.
- May not be ideal for longer hair.
BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Spring Curling Iron
The BaBylissPRO Nano curling iron is one of the more expensive options on this list, but for good reason! It has a very stylish, modern design with a baby-blue handle and an eight-foot swivel cord.
- Includes 50 different heat settings that reach up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sol-Gel Nano Titanium/Ceramic Barrel: reduces the amount of frizz/damage done to hair.
- Has a “Turbo Heat” Button that instantly boosts heat before and during styling.
- Produces maximum “far-infrared” heat, which allows the heat to penetrate the hair shaft and provide a longer-lasting, smoother-looking curl.
- Does not have a gold-plated barrel, so curls may not be as “tight” or even as with a gold-plated iron.
- One of the more expensive products on this list.
- Does not deliver “tight” curls.
Kipozi Curling Iron With Ceramic-Coated Barrel
The Kipozi Curling Iron With Ceramic-Coated Barrel curling iron is one of the more cost-effective options on this list but still delivers excellent curls for thicker hair. It has a sleek design that includes a rose-gold ceramic barrel and an LED temperature reading screen.
- Heats up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit in just 60 seconds!
- Has an extra-long barrel that works well on medium length to longer hair.
- 60-Minute Auto Shut-Off Feature: you won’t have to worry about forgetting to turn your iron off!
- Ceramic barrel eliminates frizz and “hot-spots”, giving a more even curl.
- Only 1 1/4 inch barrel, so it can hold less hair than an iron with a thicker barrel.
- Not ideal for use on short hair.
- Does not include a gold-plated barrel, so keeping the heat consistent may be more difficult.
The Beachwaver Co. S1 Curling Iron
The Beachwaver Co. S1 iron is the most expensive product on this list, but for good reason! It is a “rotating” curling iron with a smaller spring-clip that delivers extremely fast styling and allows you to curl your hair into three different styles!
- “Rotating Barrel”: this barrel rotates automatically, so styling is made quick and easy!
- Barrel also allows you to achieve three different styles of curl: tighter, more defined curls, looser curls, and simple beach waves!
- Has a positionable clamp that allows you to set your iron to the perfect setting for your hair length and thickness.
- Perfect for those that want quick curls that hold style!
- May be difficult to use at first if you aren’t used to the rotating barrel.
- The ceramic-plated barrel will not heat up as quickly or get as hot as a typical gold-plated barrel.
- More expensive than other products.
You can choose a curling iron that works best with your thick hair from these five great options. Each individual will have an iron that works best for them, but the Beachwaver is a great place to start if you have thicker hair and are searching for a new curling iron.
Best Overall Curling Iron For Thick Hair
The third product on this list, the BaBylissPro Nano Titanium Spring Curling Iron, is the best tool for curling thicker hair. The ceramic barrel allows for frizz-free curls that stay tight all day, gives a hair shaft-penetrating heat that provides even curls and protects your hair more than a typical gold-plated iron while still getting just as hot.
It is a more expensive option, but the variety of features and the quality of styling experience it provides is more than worth the cost! It is ideal for use on all hair types and lengths and is perfect for anyone looking for frizz-free, longer lasting curls that are easy to achieve.
Best Budget Curling Iron For Thick Hair
The most budget-friendly product on this list is our second product, the Pro Beauty Tools Professional Gold Curling Iron. Even though it is the least expensive product, it still delivers an excellent styling experience.
The gold-plated barrel and the sensor-activated fast heat-recovery system provide users with curls that will last longer and stay tighter. Its sleek, modern design and ergonomic styling handle are perfect for those with a lot of hair that takes longer to style, or for those that have thick hair and want to achieve the perfect, long-lasting curls they want without breaking the bank.